More about Maharashtra food at The State Plate
Why is the food of Maharashtra famous? What's so unique about Maharashtrian food?
1. Varied Regional Influences: Maharashtra's cuisine is shaped by its geographical diversity and the influence of various regional cultures. The coastal areas of Maharashtra, including Mumbai and the Konkan region, offer a rich seafood cuisine. The Vidarbha region is known for its spicier and oilier preparations, while the Marathwada region has its own distinct flavors. Western Maharashtra, including Pune, has a rich culinary heritage.
2. Bold and Spicy Flavors: Maharashtra's cuisine is known for its bold and spicy flavors. The cuisine strikes a balance between spice and tanginess, making it a delight for those who enjoy flavorful and zesty food. Some of the most used spices are Maharashtra authentic Pav Bhaji Masala, Kanda Lasun Masala, Goda Masala and Dabeli Masala. Maharashtra is home to some amazing pickles as well like Mango Pickle, Lime Pickle, Konkani Thecha, Kharda, Shengdana Chutney.
3. Street Food Culture: Maharashtra, especially Mumbai, is renowned for its vibrant street food culture. The city offers a wide range of street food delicacies that are both tasty and diverse. Iconic street food items like Vada Pav, Pav Bhaji, and Bhel Puri are enjoyed by locals and visitors alike.
4. Vegetarian and Non-vegetarian Delights: Maharashtra's cuisine caters to both vegetarian and non-vegetarian preferences. Maharashtrian vegetarian cuisine, known as "Shakahari," is particularly popular, with dishes like Puran Poli, Misal Pav, and Batata Vada. The state also offers a variety of delectable non-vegetarian dishes like Kolhapuri Chicken, Malvani Fish Curry, and Nagpuri Saoji Mutton.
5. Sweets and Desserts: Maharashtra has a wide array of sweets and desserts that are famous for their taste and uniqueness. Modak, a sweet dumpling filled with coconut and jaggery, is an iconic Maharashtrian sweet often associated with the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi. Other popular sweets include Puran Poli, Shrikhand, and soft sonrolls from Nagpur. Shrewsburry biscuits from Kayani Bakery Pune are a delight to have.
6. Packaged Snacks: Maharashtra has given birth to some of the most iconic snack brands of India. Be it crunchy Chitale Bandhu Bakarwadi, savoury Puneri Laxminarayan Chiwda or delicious Kalyan Bhel or tangy Ganesh Bhel or thin Budhani Wafers - all the Maharashtrian snacks are just amazing.
7. Use of Local Ingredients: Maharashtra's cuisine makes ample use of locally available ingredients. Ingredients like peanuts, coconut, sesame, jaggery, and Kokum are commonly used, adding unique flavors to the dishes.
The combination of regional influences, bold flavors, diverse vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes, street food culture, unique sweets, cultural significance, and use of local ingredients make Maharashtra's cuisine stand out and contribute to its fame. It offers a rich culinary experience that reflects the state's vibrant culture and culinary heritage.
You can buy Maharashtra food online here from The State Plate. The State Plate delivers Marathi food including Marathi snacks, Marathi pickles, Marathi spices across India and globe.
What are the bestseller foods from Maharashtra?
Some of the bestsellers or the most famous products from Maharashtra are as follows:
1. Chitale Bandhu Bakarwadi
2. Laxmi Narayan Poha Chiwda
3. Solapuri Shenghdana Chutney
4. Kolhapuri Bhadang Bhel
5. Kalyan Bhel
6. Kokum Syrup
There are other Marathi food brands and products also that you can order from The State Plate. State Plate delivers all the products across India to all pincodes. You can shop easily and enjoy free delivery across India. There are more than 300 products with The State Plate that you can shop from.